Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Plant / Weed ID Please

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Jul, 18:22, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.
They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost.
My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the
potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they
were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.
http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David, look at this site, it's brilliant to find seedlings. Is there
anything around where your toms were sown which could have
'contaminated' your soil? Looks like trees like Mary said. But I
cannot find anything close to them, however they are familiar! Look at
the trefoil section.

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

I just browsed all the seedlings on the site but it not amongst them.

I'm convinced the 'contamination' is from the multi-purpose compost itself.
I've noticed quite a few spindly seedlings trying to grow in it as I get it
out of the bag, and have been discarding them as I used the compost, but it
is likely one or two sneaked passed my myopic vision. The "hitch-hikers"
aside it is actually quite decent compost and well liked by seeds for
germination and for potting on too. It has a nice texture.

I suppose it depends on what the "manufacturers" put into the compost and
how sterile or well composted the source is. I know tomato seeds are
notorious for passing unscathed through the composting process, but it seems
these are not they, but may be related.

David.