Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Goldlexus Goldlexus is offline

Default Pump Plugged up...What do you think?

Maybe 'sump' pump isn't the right description. It is a Submersible sewage
pump and according to the pamphlet that came with the pump it is designed
for continous operation. It is a new pump with only about 4 months of usage
between last summer when it was installed and this summer. We had the very
same pump in the pond for over 7 years before that pump completely died. It
does not have a screen on the intake. The previous pump didn't either being
as we had fish get sucked up and shooting out of the waterfall.
This is the pump we have:
http://www.goulds.com/product.asp?ID=140&MASTERID=4
It says that it has a " Dynamically Balanced Non-Clog Impeller" . But I
think things, rocks and whatever, can still impede water flow . The pump has
some serious suction ,who knows what it has been sucked into it's path. We
are able to get fully under it right now. We moved what we could this
morning hoping that would do it. It made things better but not quite the way
it should be.

"G Pearce" wrote in message
A sump pump is not made to run continously - it is intended for off/ on
usage - mostly off - you need to buy a "continous duty" water cooled pump -
that said, even though it will supposedly handle up to 2" solids, in a pond
they are dealing with the dying plant material, string algae etc. which
will plug up the intake screen - you will have to pull the pump and check
the intake screen and impeller - you're problem is probably there - if not,
a new pump will fix it
Gale :~)
"Goldlexus" wrote in message
newsKzji.31$475.16@trndny04...
We will probably do just that. It will be MUCH easier. Last year when we
replaced the pump we hired someone to do it (like I said we are not
diy'ers and know nothing about plumbing) He didn't have the coupling so
he just did it permenantly. A real bummer now.
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have pvc pipe and a screw on/off coupling. Could you cut your pipe
and add a screw coupling. It can't last forever and will need repair
at some time. Why not make a step now that will serve you in the
future.

Good luck

Jim