Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Topping off the pond

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

I add water with a greenhouse or nursery type sprayhead. It makes a
course
spray. This helps degass the water on it's way to the water surface.
Unless I'm adding more than around 25% I don't bother with dechloring the
water. We don't have much in our tap water.

I've seen this mentioned before. Doesn't seem like spraying water in the
air would have any effect on the chlorine level of the water once it hit
the pond. Can you expand this further?

"Once" it hits the pond, it won't make much difference. If chlorine is used,
though, rather than chloramine, you can get rid of a great deal of it by
increasing the surface area of the added water by spraying.

Also, to the original poster, you should find out if your municipality
uses chloramine instead of just chlorine in your tap water.

That would be the key.

The chlorine
will dissipate fairly soon. The chloramine will not and it needs to be
treated.

I'm less than convinced (and references to reef aquarium literature don't
help). A pond is a massive (compared to an aquarium) biological process
and between UV from sunlight and bacterial action, I don't think chloramine
bonds hold up very long.

Any amount of chlorine (and ammonia - the "amine" part of chloramine) is
hard on your fish, but small (I'd say less than 5%) amounts get processed
pretty well by the pond.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated