Old 31-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Pam

Default Clematis Question

jammer wrote:

I have spent too much time looking for simple information!!

I can plant my clematis now in zone 7. I don't foresee any more
freezes. How far apart do they need to be? THANK YOU!

As Kris mentioned, it depends on the type of clematis you are growing.
Most species clematis can reach considerable size and one to a trellis
is sufficient (perhaps MORE than sufficient in some cases). Large
flowering hybrids are much less rampant in their growth and you can
plant two similar pruning types together. It is really important for you
to know and remember what type of clematis you have as pruning
requirements can differ considerably from vine to vine.

If you are more specific on the clematis type, I can be more specific on
planting requirements.

pam - gardengal