Old 31-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default first bud

The Blue Girls and the red mystery rose have buds!!! I'm restraining
myself from checking them frequently for progress as I suspect the
little tempermental divas will deliberately slow down development just
to torment me. *smile*

Okay, I'm going to admit straight up that I can be really dense
sometimes. Over the weekend I realized that one of my mystery roses may
actually be a rooted cutting from the rose beside it. I started looking
at it closely because the leaf configuration and development is
identical on the two plants. And, in looking at the "mother" plant, I
think I even know where the cutting was taken from.

However, I think the reason I didn't pay any attention to this last year
is that a) it was the first spring in this house and I was doing massive
amounts of work on the landscaping and b) the roses on these two plants
are different colours. Same colour family but one is definitely darker
than the other. My question for all of you with more experience in
rooting cuttings - can the difference of one rose being a graft and the
other being own root cause a difference in colour?

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu