Old 07-07-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default hostas, hydrangea, and update on sweet butter lettuce

Jim Kingdon wrote:

I did it in the spring (not long after the leaves came up). They
seemed to take it pretty well (they didn't droop as much as other
plants like black eyed susans do when I divide/move them).

According to http://perfectperennials.tripod.com/id8.html you can
divide hostas any time of the year, though.

Thanks!

Also, have a rose bush that has had the dreaded "black spot" for
years now.

Well, I'm sure it is heresy but our roses have it (or something which
looks fairly similar), and we just ignored it. The diseased leaves
fall off (either in the autumn, or early), and the new growth doesn't
really have it bad until it has been there a while. We've only been
through one season of the "ignore it" strategy, though.

Ok, I have long ago quit trying to treat the rose bush. my question is
whether or not it is possible that my hydrangea has developed the black

Thanks,
Rae