Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mulch Magic

On Jul 6, 10:02?am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ps.com...

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Marilyn was reading some off-the-wall hype about how red plastic
mulch
under tomatoes will make them grow better and faster. I, of course,
dismissed it as nonsense.

Your comparison is skewed, you are making your unmulched plants
compete with weeds. I would suggest had you kept your unmulched
plants cultivated of weeds they would have equaled or surpassed the
plants surrounded by red plastic sheeting. Actually any medium that
prevents air and moisture from penetrating does not qualify as
mulch,
that's simply a plastic barrier.

I was recently told by someone using it, that that stuff passes air
and moisture.

All I've seen is just plain old plastic sheeting. I buy lots of stuff
from Lee Valley. They say to punch holes by hand so water can pass.
I think this red plastic is a gimmick, and an expensive gimmick
because it wont last long... adn constant exposure to the sun's UV
will change the red to chalky pink.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2300,33272