Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Cutting Queen Anne's Lace

On Jul 7, 2:32 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:15:16 -0700, mleblanca
wrote:

On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:40:17 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

wrote:
Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping
after cutting?

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from
drooping. Haven't tried it.

Easy trick to try on QAL.

Charlie

FW
if Charlie's idea doesn't work, try putting the stem in boiling
water for a few seconds and then plunge the stems in cold water
all the way up to the flower heads overnight if possible.

Thanks Emilie, for this tip, hadn't heard or tried this.....duly noted
and remembered. Does this work on any cut flowers or recommended for
specific kinds? I hate cutting, or bringing home cut flowers, and they
begin to wilt quickly.....makes me feel a bit like a murderer of some
sort. :-)

So much to learn and remember.

Charlie

It works on many flowers, but not always on all. I learned of it by
using
it for hydrangeas, which were just awful about drooping down all of a
sudden.
It's also good for reviving roses that have developed an "air lock" or
a bubble of air in the stem that prevents the drawing up of water.
(To avoid this: Cut roses and then _immediately_ plunge into a bucket
of lukewarm water up to their heads.Sometimes florist roses will
droop
and who wants to lose those at the price you pay)
Yes, a lot to try to remember.........there are whole books just on
the
conditioning of cut flowers.........

Emilie