Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raccoons

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
On 7/7/2007 1:37 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Carol Gravelle" wrote in message
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies
out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Out of your garbage: Use bungee cords over the lids to the handles.

Out of your yard: There's this newfangled invention called a fence. Not
perfected quiet yet, but you might be able to find someone in your area
who
will install one, on an experimental basis. Raccoons are great climbers,
though.

My yard is completely fenced and walled. Raccoons still steal my entire
grape crop (two vines).

I'm dealing this week with deer, who've munched all the buds off one
daylilly. The rest of the daylillies are now caged, which looks ugly as
hell, but at least I'll get to enjoy a few flowers. The deer have also
decimated two sedums, and are poking around the tomatoes, whose leaves they
ate last year. Unfortunately for them, the tomatoes are caged for support,
with another fence wire cage 2 feet outside the main one, prongs bent
outward to cause maximum "education". We shall see.