Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Mushroom Compost Feedback

I've now taken my delivery of this stuff and are offering my comments
for Tish and others who were wondering.

This old guy from Narellan, NSW sells, in lot 10 for $40 delivered.
Phone number is 4648 3030. Advertises in Campbeltown to Southern
Highlands newspapers. I gather you could order larger lots if you wanted.

These are the ~25 litre(?) bags that they grow the mushrooms in. I was
told they weigh about 25kgs.

Basically you get a pile of rotted, wet straw full of the mushroom fungi
threads, topped with about 4cm of decomposing, "dynamic lifter"
(processed chicken poo).

It is unlikely that you could continue to grow on the mushrooms. Most of
the bags were full of the fungi threads and what mushrooms that were on
top were dry as well as being well chomped by slugs (bonus gift).

If the price suits, then get it. It is delivered. You just have to be
able to handle the plastic bags. Perhaps a cheap two wheel trolley from
autoshops will help you there. Just get one with a good foot square
bed/tray.

I have the alternative of going out to a chicken farm on Camden Valley
Way, just north of the new Harrington Park to Smeaton grange cross
roads. they sell 20L bag of well decomposed chicken ($2.20) and mushroom
and cow ($3.30) each. The major problem there is supplies are patchy.

In future, I'll probably just buy a couple of bags of straw (about $14
each) and a bag of dynamic lifter ($?). That will make the mulching
part easier and I will not have lost any of the nutrients of the dynamic
lifter.

Now, if someone knows where I can go and collect my own mushroom compost
industrial waste, then I'll certainly take it.