Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fumbler fumbler is offline

Default Viburnum - advice needed

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:29:57 +0100, Frank Booth Snr
wrote:

fumbler wrote:

Hello, could someone help please? I'm trying to improve the
appearance of a neglected but hopefully healthy viburnum. I've done
my best from the pics I've seen to identify it correctly as probably a
bodnantense or, less likely I think, a grandiflorum. Around 6 weeks
ago, at a height of possibly 10 feet or so, I started pruning off all
the top growth and cut out some of the longer, older branches at
ground level, removing probably about a third of the plant in one
bash. It seems to have taken happily to this but most of the new
growth is sprouting up again at the very top of the plant and this is
exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Please forgive my ignorance on
these matters, but I'm wondering if I can possibly set about the shrub
again (now!) to remove even more of this newly growing top stuff,
perhaps taking another foot or so of the old wood with it, with the
objective of getting some new growth around the middle height of the
plant. As things stand there is, as I say, a flourishing top and a
fair bit of leafy growth near the base but a bald middle. At this
stage I don't mind at all if whatever action is taken threatens the
flowering possibility for the next year or two, all I'm trying to do
is to give the plant, at this stage, a fuller leafy look.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

First of all when does it flower?

From late October through to January-Feb.