Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
len garden len garden is offline

Default Mushroom Compost Feedback

g'day terry,

do i detect some dissapointment in the message??

we don't buy it so we can grow mushrooms, any fungii that is in the
stuff becomes part of the sytem of break down and doesn't affect the
plants, we grow directly into it and add more as that settles and the
whole lot turns into a better and better medium, only feeding it using
mulch hay mulches.

now about $4 a bag delivered is a bit pricey up here that happens for
$3 per bag.

check you phone book or do a google for mushroom farms in your general
area, even if you had to hire an 8' x 5' box trailer (carries app 80
bags), you would still be in front even if the farm charged a $1 per
bag, up here our farmer (app 40 min round trip away) charges .50c per
bag.

so the bet is the guy who onsells and delivers is making a killing at
$4 per bag.

get a co-op of gardeners together and maybe even hire a 1 tonner truck
and share the costs, or you could sell some of the load off the cover
some of the cost and maybe get your compost all but free.

we do at times get a feed of mushrooms off our bags or some grow in
the garden but then we buy fresh from the sheds at the farm.

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:05:34 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev