Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Live oaks

Dace

Good question!

"Dave" wrote in message
ink.net...
Know some arborists read these groups, so, thought would ask questions
here.

After all the rain here in central TX, have noticed that most of the live
oaks have really sprouted some spectacular amount of leaves compared to
the last 3 years. Some, almost to the point of fault. For instance, most
new branches and leaves emanating almost at one general place on the tree.
Like a bush growing on the side of the tree is the best I can describe it.

Sounds like sprouting which can be stimulated by stress. Which may be the
accumulation of events over many years with treatments by humans at the top
of the list. There is a good article on the so called sudden oak death
here.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/COP.html

More writtings are he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

Some look healthy, but aren't doing all the major leaf and branch thing.
Like nothing much happened regarding rainfall.

Others are sprouting mini-trees at their roots, others not.
Is all this in response to the 3 year drought prior?

Like human doctors I would have to see the patient.

The cedars (juniper-ashe) look okay, but aren't doing all the
proliferation. They, of course, compete with the live oaks in the hill
country.

I see some landowners choose to remove all the cedars on their property.
Leaving just the live and red oaks as the major tree population. Some
live oaks actually grew sideways close to the ground to get to the
sunlight while competing with the cedars for same. I can see removing
such around buildings and roads as these are a potential fire hazard. Is
this cedar genocide healthy for the hill country ecosystem?

Dave

I am not sure I understand the question. If you are asking if eradicating a
species is good, it is not. In my view of an ecosystem.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman