Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Live oaks

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

I see some landowners choose to remove all the cedars on their property.
Leaving just the live and red oaks as the major tree population. Some live
oaks actually grew sideways close to the ground to get to the sunlight while
competing with the cedars for same. I can see removing such around
buildings and roads as these are a potential fire hazard. Is this cedar
genocide healthy for the hill country ecosystem?

Dave

Yes, it is.
Cedars hog a lot of ground water.

That said, I have one old growth Cedar tree in my yard that is around
16" at the base.

It gets to live. ;-)
--
Peace, Om