Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Wolf Wolf is offline

Default yEnc

Ann wrote:
Wolf expounded:

If you want the widest possible audience for his or her posts, don't use
yEnc. MIME or uuencode works with _all_ newsreaders. Most people
nowadays buy a computer as an appliance - a machine that's ready to go,
doing all the things they want it to do. Why should they get additional
software to read a post in a non-standard format?

You keep saying how non-standard yEnc is, and yet there are plenty of
newsreaders out there that handle it seamlessly. Defend M$ all you
want.

Er, I don't defend MS. How did you infer that?

They are the ones who choose to not handle *all* formats, no
matter what the reason. Agent is the best $29 you'll ever spend for
reading news.

Er, I tried the freeware version of Agent, didn't like it. Can't recall
why, I don't keep notes about software I don't like. Something about
insufficient control over downloads, IIRC. Which happens to be what I
didn't like about a half dozen other newsreaders I tried. So I'm using
T'bird for want of a better (the only newsreader that did everything I
wanted it to do was PMNews, written for OS/2, and never ported, more's
the pity.)

OE is worth exactly what you pay for it.

The only MS software I use is IE, and that only for Updates, since MS's
update site won't work with any other browsers. Which is Restraint of
Trade, and illegal, but I guess Willy Wallholes is exempt.

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'