Old 31-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Nedra/Lotus question

I was thinking in terms of moving it to a (much) larger pot, then
"sacrificing" the current pot by cutting it away, down to the bottom. I
don't think that would make much difference, as the old bottom would be
right on the new bottom. Then I could just add some more dirt. The darn
thing just got away from me: I had about 3 weeks between no leaves and new
leaves. . .

Lee

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Lee,

I don't remember what or how your lotus is planted. I wouldn't
try to divide it since it is already growing. You can transplant to
a larger container though.... just keep the lotus covered with
water as you do the following:
put the plant in a whiskey barrel planter and gently lift it out
and up into the water. Have the larger container ready to receive
the lotus. If you can put bricks or a concrete block in the whiskey
barrel FIRST - something to set the plant on I would just leave it
there for the season. I would plan on dividing this fall. This is a
job you can do while kneeling beside the w. barrel. The lotus will
be very heavy.... so, take care of your back.

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
I almost hate to ask this question with so many of you still waiting for
your ponds to thaw, but my lotus got a jump on me: I was planning on
transplanting it, but it started to grow before I got to it. I have

about
20
or so new aerial leaves at this time. I stuffed about 4 of the 1 inch

pieces
of "fruit tree spikes" into the pot, but the leaves are looking a

little
anemic . . . i.e., they're green, but kinda yellowish in the middle,

with
only the veins being green. I had this problem last year, but don't

remember
how I fixed it. Liquid Ironite? Miracle Grow? There are no fish in the

pot,
just the plant. Also, I got ZIP for flowers last year - lots of leaves,

no
flowers (although the plant had flowers the year I purchased it).

All suggestions welcomed at this point. I think it's too late to

transplant
it into a bigger pot, but I'll try if needed.

TIA, Lee