Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Tomatoes not growing...

In article ,
Hobo wrote:

This has been an excellent example of a 'high-jacked'
thread. What about Sarah and her tomato problem? There has
been all kinds of advice for the driveway problems and next
to nothing to help out Sarah.

Hobo

Nod of the hat to Ann who out of the kindness of her heart usually keeps
us on track. Even so, there have been 4 responders to Sarah's question:

Hello....

I planted tomatoes in southern New Mexico. The ground had no previous
garden, looked OK. I tilled in organic compost to 10", lots of
compost. Planted several varieties, 15 plants, in a row. Automatic
watering with drip hose, ground covered by black plastic weed stopper
(breathes). Killed grass around with roundup (had bermuda reaching
into garden). Covered all plants with plastic bags first. Bags seemed
to make hot house and make tomatoes grow but Ieft them on 2 days and
it killed plants on one side of garden (more sun). Replaced those with
new plants. Put time release fetrilize on soil and soaked in when
first planted, have used liquid fertilizer two times since. Direct sun
5 - 6 hours a day, lots of indirect light (shade under tree)
otherwise.

Planted 1.5 months ago. All plants, old and new, at just sitting
there, no or very little increase in height...all except one plant on
the end away from new plants. This one is growing very well, lush,
getting taller. Others have green tops, lower limbs died some time
ago. The green tops look healthy but donig nothing, some scraggly.
Don't know why but get the feeling some of them are on their way to
dying, or maybe they just won't grow.

Why aren't they growing? Searched the web, I see lots of diseases, and
will try to look close at the plants when I return (on vacation for
few days).

Any advice would really be appreciated. I only grew tomatoes once
before, in New Jersey, and they were a spectacular success with little
effort.

Thanks very much,
Sarah

This was posted in rec.gardens.edible and separately in rec.gardens.
Between the two sites, Sara as received 13 responses to her question.
The thread moves on but the question has been addressed.

The Lower limbs of my tomatoes aren't doing so well either but then they
are 3'+ tall and have bush beans blocking their sunlight at lower
levels. I have grown (and am growing, I hope) tomatoes in areas that
only have 3-4 hours of Sun/day. Granted some need more Sun than others.

Kay suggested removing one plant and repotting it with commercial
potting soil in a 5 gallon container to see if there was an improvement
in the plants growth.

Sara has not been ignored. Thank you for caring Hobo.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/