Old 09-07-2007, 05:08 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Live oaks

"cat daddy" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 8, 11:49 am, "cat daddy" wrote:

"The golden-cheeked warbler depends on stands of mature Ashe juniper
(blueberry cedar) mixed with deciduous trees including Lacey oak,

Spanish
oak, shin oak, post oak, cedar elm, and escarpment black cherry.

Makes a body wonder what the golden-cheeked warbler depended on before
the introduction of the highly invasive Ashe juniper...

From other stuff I read, mature Junipers (medium sized are 200-300 years
old...) mixed in with the rest of the trees, were wiped out for their wood
and charcoal making by the settlers. They also normally exist in ravines
and
are native.
Overgrazing led to erosion of the thin grasslands, the other trees died
out, and fire suppression left the young Ashe junipers to colonize almost
exclusively.
So, they weren't invasive naturally and the warblers were happy, until
the settlers upset the delicate balance.

Read something about the juniper ashe are not native to TX at all. Rather,
a dubious transplant from some foreign European country.

Have also read many times about how juniper ashe hogs groundwater flow in
many places.

The beneficial side, read that it can grow almost anywhere in TX hill
country. Turning native limestone and similar soft rock usable as soil over
a long period of time. Most of which, TX hill country has little topsoil if
any.

All of which makes me ask the question regarding it effect, and possible
loss if eradicated. If the water loss is so drastic due to juniper ashe,
why do adjacent live oaks continue even if adjacent to same? Makes me
believe there's more to this than what is publicized for our perusal. Or,
rather, tainted with some irrational prejudice towards the juniper ashe.
Kinda like the cattlemen's prejudice towards sheep herders over a 100 years
ago.

Forgive me for seeking the truth and doubt that I show...

Dave