Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Decisions, decisions

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:04:47 CST, ~ jan wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:03:58 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

An alternative to draining the pond or fussing with fish might be to
use "mosquito dunks," (Bacillus thuringiensis) for effective long term
control. It is a bacteria specific to mosquito larvae, and affects
absolutely nothing else. It is a biological control that is safe and
100% effective in my experience.

I agree, if not just because I seem to have less problems now with
mosquitoes than before the ponds went in. Lots of dragon flies. (Do damsel
flies eat mosquitoes? Hundreds of those around.) We do have mosquito
control, but I'm not sure they're doing anything more than what they've
always done. So far only bitten once this season, but I'm fairly certain
that didn't happen in my yard. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yes, damselflies eat mosquitoes. Dragonflies and damselflies eat
mosquitoes. Every stage of life (except the eggs) of those critters
eat mosquitoes. They will eat just about anything that flies. They
follow my tractor around when I'm mowing because they know I startle
lots of bugs into flight. Dragonflies are incredible little machines.
They can fly in any direction you can imagine and can change
directions almost instantly. I have oodles of them around and get to
watch them often. I've seen them hover, fly backwards, change heading
in an instant, they can even take off from the ground in reverse. Even
with damaged wings late in the season they still can perform
incredible aerobatics. As anyone who has carelessly handled one can
attest, they can inflict quite a healthy bite, but they do not sting.
Damselflies are just as vicious as dragonflies, but are smaller, fold
their wings, and have a cute name.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I don't recall...

Is that what some people refer to as "stick bugs"? (Very small
dragonflies with wings not as pronounced)