Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chatnoir chatnoir is offline

Default Decisions, decisions

On Jul 7, 6:37 am, Nick Cramer wrote:
I have decided that, rather than get Mosquito fish, I will drain the pond.
That algae rich water should make the plants in our backyard happy. I've
heard that Nile virus is on the upsurge this year, so anyplace mosquitos
might breed is a good place to take immediate action.

~Semper Fi~

I add Fathead Minnows (Pimephales promelas) to my pond! Have never
had any mosquito larvae in the pond! They are more native to Colorado
than Mosquito fish! I get them from Carolina Biological supply whcih
gets them from Texas! They are used in LD-50 Tests! Although I find
that about 50 Percent die when you add them to the pond! Some LD-50
test!
I also keep the surface of my pond in constant motion!