Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Slugs in my beehives!

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Not a Bee keeper but...
They sell them to put round your Hostas etc so why not a copper band
around all entrances to a hive, that would keep all slugs and snails out
as they won't cross copper. How it would effect the bees I have no idea
but if it was far enough away from their landing spot they shouldn't come
in contact with it.

Bob, a beehive is about 18" square, it's usually on some kind of stand to
raise it off the ground. Sometimes the stand will accommodate two or more
hives. The entrance is usually on the front face of the hive, at the bottom.

It would be impossible to stop slugs coming from underground, up the stand,
under the beehive floor and into the entrance, by using copper strip or
mesh. When copper is used for protecting plants it forms a fairly small
collar round the plant, that couldn't be done with a beehive.

Copper could be tacked round the entrance but it would be a real faff and
simply not worth the trouble or cutting and nailing four pieces - and to
every hive!

To the OP - there are far worse things than slugs in a hive. Quite apart
from mice, moth and wasps there are much smaller enemies - one day when you
have time scrape some of the debris from the floor and look at it under a
magnifying glass. You'll see that it's heaving with life. You'll probably
find things like millipedes on the crown board - they repulsed me when I
first saw them but they do no harm. A bird once got into one of my hives and
built a nest before my spring inspection. It's amazing how much life there
is in a hive. Then there are two legged enemies ... little boys seem to
think they'll prove their manhood by vandalising hives. There are also
thieves - who are other beekeepers.

Concentrate on keeping your hives dry - damp is the greatest enemy. Cut long
grass and weeds so that they don't impede the airflow through the entrance -
although there are some advantages in making the entrance easier to defend.

If you haven't already you MUST join your local association, you'll get
varying and opposing information but at least it will be local and there
will be people who have had the same experiences as you.

Don't worry about slugs.

Mary