Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Lycopene in tomatoes

In article .com,
z wrote:

Thank you. I owe it all to the lycopene I consume.

I think this was covered once before but just to be absolutely sure,
Lycopene from processed tomato products appears to be more bioavailable
than that from raw Tomatoes. Bioavailability of lycopene is believed to
be affected by:

Processing (cooking) undergone

Presence of dietary lipids

Heat-applied

The dosage and the presence of other carotenoids, such as ss-carotene

The bioavailability of lycopene is significantly higher when lycopene
was ingested along with ss-carotene than when ingested alone.

http://holisticonline.com/cancer/cancer_lycopene.htm
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/