Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Tomatoes not growing...

Billy Rose wrote:

I planted tomatoes in southern New Mexico. The ground had no previous
garden, looked OK. I tilled in organic compost to 10", lots of
compost. Planted several varieties, 15 plants, in a row. Automatic
watering with drip hose, ground covered by black plastic weed stopper
(breathes). Killed grass around with roundup (had bermuda reaching
into garden). Covered all plants with plastic bags first.

Covering individual plants doesn't prevent the defolient from
penetrating the soil. Every time you water or it rains the round up
perimeter expands.

Bags seemed
to make hot house and make tomatoes grow but Ieft them on 2 days and
it killed plants on one side of garden (more sun).

The sun wasn't the major culprit.

Replaced those with
new plants. Put time release fetrilize on soil and soaked in when
first planted, have used liquid fertilizer two times since. Direct sun
5 - 6 hours a day, lots of indirect light (shade under tree)
otherwise.

Planted 1.5 months ago. All plants, old and new, at just sitting
there, no or very little increase in height...all except one plant on
the end away from new plants. This one is growing very well, lush,
getting taller.

You missed that spot with the roundup... you need better aim.

Others have green tops, lower limbs died some time
ago. The green tops look healthy but donig nothing, some scraggly.
Don't know why but get the feeling some of them are on their way to
dying, or maybe they just won't grow.

Why aren't they growing?

See above. duh

I can't believe any sane person would use round up anywhere near any
kind of garden plants. It'll be at least two years before the roundup
in the soil fully breaks down. I'd move the garden.