Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Tomatoes not growing...

On Jul 9, 11:13?am, Omelet wrote:
In article . com,

Sheldon wrote:

I can't believe any sane person would use round up anywhere near any
kind of garden plants. It'll be at least two years before the roundup
in the soil fully breaks down. I'd move the garden.

Some people don't know better. I'm sure she does now. ;-)

You are not supposed to use Round Up anywhere near edible garden plants
anyway. It's on the bottle iirc?

It's also only supposed to kill plants who's leaves come in contact with
it. Soil distribution is not supposed to affect other plants growth...

but who trusts Monsanto?

Roundup is systemic, it's primarilly applied to foilage but once in
the soil it is taken up by plant roots as well. These kind of
defolients need to be applied very carefully, it's real easy to have
over-spray of 50, 100 feet, and more. Even when the treated plants
die the defoliant is still in the dead plant and will remain potent
long after the plant is composted and its dust blows wherever. I used
to use roundup on my gravel driveway and around building foundations,
but no more, it also poisons the animals that eat the vegetation, the
insects, and even walk there. I'd rather live with some weeds...
those that encroach on my gardens I pull up by hand, use mulch, and
cultivate... I love my new Mantis.