Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default turfing over turf

"David Wilce" wrote in message
Hello - wonder if anyone could help....

I'm having some work done on my garden which involves landscaping a

bit of
it. The lawn wasn't that even and as there was quite a lot of soil

left over
from some excavations my contractor suggested that the area was

levelled.
Great - but I have a small concern - the levelling procedure was

simply to
spread the excess earth over the existing lawn to a depth of between 1

and
maybe 10 inches - is that OK to do? Just wondering what the grass

dying off
underneath the soil will do to the root system of any new turf

overlaid on
top. Or is it perfectly OK to do this?

Many Thanks
David

I definitely don't like the idea of levelling your lawn with soil and
then placing turf on top of it. Ideally you should first dig your lawn
and at the same time bury the existing turf, similar to a farmer
ploughing a grassed field, then add the spare soil, level it to your
satisfaction and finally lay the new turf.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.