Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Plant Identification

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Ok. As the general response to my query was that the group was
agreeable to educating me as to what plants I have inherited - here's
the first.
Not a garden plant (they are to follow) but a house plant. I have
several of these and they have just finished flowering. Prolifically
so but short lived. So what type of cactus are they?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....n/cactus_1.jpg

TIA

Mel W.

It's a Chamaecereus. I think that's how you spell it. Peanut cactus to its
friends. I have a couple, different colours though.

You can tell by the way the flowers come out of a weird place in the trunk.

I might be wrong. I don't think so.

Chamaecereus sylvestris. I have a sneaking feeling the taxonomists have
changed its name in recent years.

Nice healthy specimen.
Not all drooping multistemmed cacti with flowers coming from partway
along the stem are Chamaecereus ;-)

"Teddy bear" - I suppose a young plant with two new stems like ears?
Never really understood the 'peanut' bit either. I know the bits that
fall off are supposed to look like peanuts, but that's true of a lot of
mammilarias too.

--
Kay