Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Topping off the pond

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much, and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated