Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default High pH

Chris Barnes wrote:

For my pond (~100'x45'x25'deep) I am planning on drilling a water well
(the well is for more than just the pond). Summers here in Texas
typically mean ponds go dry, or at least drop their levels (not THIS
year...), so the well is to help keep the pond full.

I have been toying with the idea of having the pipe filling the pond be
at the BOTTOM of the pond, rather than what is typical around here (a
fountain which sprays the top). Would doing this help/hurt the
stratification that occurs during the hot weather?

hurt. The water from the well is always going to be colder, so it will stay
at the bottom while the surface water cooks. Is that a problem? I'm not
sure. I think your fish will tend to seek, and prefer, the bottom water.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated