Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Decisions, decisions

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:11:50 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

Kurt wrote:

Is that what some people refer to as "stick bugs"? (Very small
dragonflies with wings not as pronounced)

iirc, the significant difference between dragonflies & damselflies is just
that one folds its wings and the other doesn't.

oops - that should be "significant apparent difference". Biologically, they
could be extremely different for all I know :-)

They are both of the same order: Odonata. Dragonflies are in the
suborder Anisoptera while damselflies are suborder Zygoptera. It
seems except for size and wing-folding there seems to be not a whole
lot oaf difference between them. The nymphs seem to exhibit the most
distinct differences. I always thought the term "stick bugs"
referred to "walkingsticks," or any of the family Phasmatidae, in the
same order as grasshopper and crickets and the like, Orthoptera.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken