Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Topping off the pond

~ jan wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:25:14 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much,
and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.

I wasn't suggesting adding evaporation as part of the change out.

Neither was I. Salination increases as evaporation increases, and so
removal of old water becomes more important.

I was talking from the viewpoint of the KHA program and what is
currently considered best for koi, especially in a koi only pond.

I know, and I'm sure it _is_ best, but there really aren't that many people
who make the effort.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated