Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chris Barnes Chris Barnes is offline

Default High pH

Derek Broughton wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of having the pipe filling the pond be
at the BOTTOM of the pond, rather than what is typical around here (a
fountain which sprays the top). Would doing this help/hurt the
stratification that occurs during the hot weather?

hurt. The water from the well is always going to be colder, so it will stay
at the bottom while the surface water cooks. Is that a problem? I'm not
sure. I think your fish will tend to seek, and prefer, the bottom water.

Yeah, ok, I can see that.
So, assuming that it is better to put the cold well water on top, let me
ask a followup question.

The pond is not uniform in it's depth. One end is deep, the other is
shallower and has a small island (the depth from the bank to the island
is only 3.5' deep). I would assume that the best way to avoid the
stratification is to get the water to circulate, correct (or maybe not)?

So... would it be better to put the cold well water on the shallow end,
or the deep end? Or would it not really matter?

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes