Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Decisions, decisions

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

I always thought the term "stick bugs"
referred to "walkingsticks," or any of the family Phasmatidae, in the
same order as grasshopper and crickets and the like, Orthoptera.

So did I - but if I've learned anything in the last 7 years of working with
taxonomists, it's that you don't know _what_ you're talking about if it
isn't a scientific name, and even then you may be confused :-)

Or even outside the field of taxonomy - my wife once asked in a fish market
if they had any shark, and the fishmonger quietly told her they called
it "Rock Salmon" in Ontario.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated