Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Just wanted to follow-up...

Thanks again to everyone for the advice/suggestions. The rain

held off long
enough Friday for me to get out for several hours. I have to

say, I was
very disappointed though. I'm not finished yet, but almost all

of the the
really nice looking trees that were small enough to carry ended

up being
large "suckers" with practically no independant root system to

speak of. If
I had more time, I'd probably try air-layering a bunch of

stuff; but they
are already in there with chain saws and bull-dozers...

You can treat a "sucker" (especially if there are a few roots)
like you would a cutting and often have some success. Trees that
sucker are, almost by definition, filled with the "will to live."

Unfortunately, trees that sucker also seem to be trees with
coarse branching and large internodes (except, perhaps, for
Prunus and Fagus).

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --