Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Decisions, decisions

practically speaking. Marilyn the Pond Lady lives nearly in the swamp
and she has almost no mosquitoes with all her ponds. she got ticks of
course, no guinea hens.. wowo... maybe I need to get her some of
those. Ingrid

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:04:47 CST, ~ jan wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:03:58 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

An alternative to draining the pond or fussing with fish might be to
use "mosquito dunks," (Bacillus thuringiensis) for effective long term
control. It is a bacteria specific to mosquito larvae, and affects
absolutely nothing else. It is a biological control that is safe and
100% effective in my experience.

I agree, if not just because I seem to have less problems now with
mosquitoes than before the ponds went in. Lots of dragon flies. (Do damsel
flies eat mosquitoes? Hundreds of those around.) We do have mosquito
control, but I'm not sure they're doing anything more than what they've
always done. So far only bitten once this season, but I'm fairly certain
that didn't happen in my yard. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us