Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default small bees in ground

janet expounded:

I noticed some small bees hovering around a spot at the edge of one of
my garden areas. I tried spraying with wasp/hornet spray a couple of
times, but they're still there. I'm allergic to bees and wasps, have
to carry epi-pens with me at all times, and need to keep bees and
wasps from nesting in my yard. I don't think there are not a lot of
bees there yet, so it seems to me that now is the time to get rid of
them.

They're attracted to the flowers, and are doing what they're supposed
to do. Either get rid of the flowers or learn to live with them. Also
- no one is allergic to *all* bees, wasps and/or hornets, they're all
different allergens. Many who think they're allergic to 'bees' are
actually allergic to hornets (or yellowjackets, a form of hornet) and
not to honeybees at all. Others are very allergic to honeybees. You
need to know the difference.

Next time you whip out that spray think of what the chemicals may be
doing to you, too.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts