Old 31-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Carol Schroeder

Default [IBC] Winter Snow Damage

Thanks to all of you who shared your experiences and expertise and
responded to my query about binding dangling branches which were
partially broken due to winter snowfalls. The first response I received
was cautiously optimistic - although the warning that this was not
proven solution was clear and there was the problem of creating a
reverse taper. I rushed outside to repair the damage as best I could
using raffia rationalizing that there was some hope - if not too much.
Then, the following day, I read additional responses that painted a
less hopeful picture, some cautioning that the branch will never really
heal, and was likely to snap off at any slight provocation. Another
described mixed results depending on the species. In sum, based on the
satisfactorily for the future. Success is dependent upon on the amount
of branch tissue still connected. In retrospect, I should have waited
for all the responses before I did my repair job. At least if I had
waited until I read M. Persiano's reply, I would have had step-by-step
instructions on how to do the repair in the best possible way. Patience
is needed in all things, especially for bonsai.

With thanks to you all,

Carol Schroeder
Columbia, Maryland, Zone 6/7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++