Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Lawn brown patches

"Charlie Pridham" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote "Chris S" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Suddenly this week brown patches have appeared in our lawn.
We do not have a dog, sis-in-law's died a while ago so that doesn't

come
to visit any more, and our female cat does not go outside these days
(she's 17+) since our male cat died. Not seen any foxes in the garden

for
at least two years and we don't seem to get any hedgehogs these days.
There are no toadstools showing either. The grass was lush green until
the end of last week when the patches of dead grass showed themselves,
they do indeed look like something has piddled on those patches but

what
can it be? Any ideas?

I have the same and have assumed - maybe wrongly - that it was caused
by
leatherjackets - the larval stage of the daddy long legs, I believe.
The
grub will be damaging the grass roots by feeding.

Yes that is a possibility, never seen the like of it here before though,

is
this season a bad year for them? What can be done to confirm the
diagnosis
and to kill the blighters?

Could also be chafer grubs just removed some turf and they are at a large
size at the moment, I think there is stuff you can water in, I have never
bothered as a few brown patches would hardly show up on the patch of green
that goes under the title of lawn here!

I would have said the same about our grass but this year I've made an effort
with it, hand weeding, seaweed meal, growmore etc, it did start to look like
a lawn, and now this. Probably happened before but the grass was so rubbish
I didn't notice it! :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden