Old 10-07-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Ants in compost

In article . com,
writes:
| Our composter is invaded by ants!
|
| When I open the door at the base to take some out there are thousands
| of ants in it.
|
| What is they best way to deal with this? The bin is full and I could
| do with removing some from the base so I can add more peelings etc to
| the top!

Keep it a bit damper. Ants are a sign that it is too dry. So are
woodlice. Neither do any harm to a compost heap, and may even do
some good.

| I feel uneasy about spreading the ants round the garden (using compost
| as mulch) as it seems that I'll be spreading ants all over the garden
| adn then the whole place will have hundreds of ants nests!

No, you won't! Worker ants are sterile, and the only way that new
ant nests can form is following a mating flight. Forget that - it
is a TOTAL irrelevance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.