Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
dt dt is offline

Default Live oaks [and Ashe junipers]

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"James Lee Johnson" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message newsmp_omelet- Cedars
hog a lot of ground water.

That said, I have one old growth Cedar tree in my yard that is around
16" at the base.

It gets to live. ;-)

You can rest easy, Om. Your Ashe juniper tree uses no more water that other
trees of equivalent size, and a lot less than some. It does not go
completely dormant in winter, so it might use a bit more water in the winter
months than a deciduous tree.

Thanks.

As "cat daddy" said, the problem with junipers is when they begin "forming
dense woodlands containing only cedar, bare
soil, and rock". The water just runs off into the ravines, creeks, rivers,
and lakes and carries soil with it.

Juniper trees are popular landscape plants in many parts of the country. The
Ashe juniper is not however, because of its irregular shape.

jjhnsn

I think mine is rather pretty, but it is HYOOGE!

I ought to take a jpeg or two.

The only bigger tree in my yard is an ancient mesquite.

Lots of Live Oaks out back.

Mesquite? Weren't those brought from Mexico by cattle? ;-)

DT
(just stirrin' the compost)