Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Can I plant a large tree 6 foot from my house (will roots be a problem)

On 10 Jul, 09:03, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I would like to plant a tree to obscure my neighbours house - the only
problem is this would put it 6 foot from both our houses - is it
likely the roots would cause problems eventually? I was thinking of
sometiing like a silver birch.
Could a (very large) bush be planted instead without root problems? I
would guess it would need to be 12foot or more to be much use.
PS I do get along with my neighbour just I'd prefer to look at a tree
than a brick wall.

Like everybody else have said it's a bad idea to plant a tree so
close. I've just had to fell an eucalyptus planted 10 years ago, like
you, about 6 foot from back wall. It was a really silly idea as once
it passed above both rooves (ours and neighbours), the wind took it
and crash it into our neighbour's wall. That and the roots, still
underground as we just can't escavate any further without ending up
under the dining room!! The leaves were in every gutters etc. but also
you will end up, after some years, just seeing the trunk as the
branches will get higher, it's perhaps not a good idea.

A bush on the other hand is something to consider. I have planted a
fatsia in a gap between my neighbour's entrance path and our back
yard, and now in it's 6th year, it is tall, about 2m and the bonus is
that it is evergreen. Also I have planted a rhus to screen an old
entrance to our front garden. It is a slow grower, don't get too high,
about 3m, but it is a feature to look at, bright yellow and red in
autumn and great flowers on it too. It is also happy in a container.

Which direction is your neighbour's wall facing? This could give you
ideas on what you can plant against it. And do you have grass in front
of your neighbour's wall, is it your garden or a drive or can you see
it above a low wall?