Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Cooling effect of trees

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not sure this is the best place to ask this question. There were
two large trees in my backyard which provided a lot of shade. I had
have them removed, and I thought that my house would be much hotter
at
night. I do not use AC. With the trees removed it seems as if the
house is cooler. The only two reasons I can come up with is that the
trees blocked evening breezes, or that the trees absorbed heat
during
the day, and gave it off at night which made my house hotter at
night.
Would this make sense?

The first guess makes some sense. Then second doesn't. The Trees could
be reflecting heat back to the house that otherwise would dissappear
into space. Sort of like the air cools more at night on a clear night
then it does on a cloudy night. Or, the trees could just be increasing
the humidity near them.

Bob