Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default small bees in ground

beecrofter expounded:

"Yellowjackets also live in the
ground, nasty buggers, but they aren't pollinators. "

Guess again.

No, I'll learn, but I'm not guessing. I thought they were carnivores.
I didn't know they did any pollination. I still don't like them, they
hurt.

Ground nesting solitary bees are generally docile, stopping to mess
with you means their young do not survive.
You could get stung if you pinched one or put it in your pocket or
otherwise trapped it in your clothing, but that's the kind of effort
it would take.

Yes, that's what I was saying. Leave them alone and they'll leave you
alone.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts