Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fumbler fumbler is offline

Default Hydrangea petiolaris - advice please

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:52:07 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

fumbler wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:17:15 -0700, Martin Brown
wrote:

Also, most of the google hits talk
about petiolaris as deciduous but I don't think this one lost its
leaves last year, or the year before come to that.

If its evergreen its not petiolaris, there are several evergreen climbing
Hydrangeas, seemannii, and serratifolia are the ones most frequently seen.
they tend to form their flowers in large duck egg sized buds rather than
just forming tiny replicas of the finished flowers.
Doesn't really matter pruning after flowering seldom does any real harm.

The flowering has been quite poor, dullish greeny white and so
unstriking I didn't concentrate on the flower pattern, in passing it
reminded me a bit of the form of the lacecap. But looking on google's
images I see your two named varieties both have serrated leaves as
does mine. Interesting - thanks for naming it for me! The plant came
with the house and it's previous owner - a keen gardener - had listed
it as petiolaris. Duh.