Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default How to make a nice lawn after/during rotavating

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
My lawn is in a poor state partially caused by the ground collecting
water in the winter which kills off a big patch of grass.

So first step is to fix the drainage. Best bet is probably to lay a french
drain or similar.

Then I'd nuke the weeds with a short life weed killer. One that allows you
to plant soon after.

Rotavate and remove any stones that come to the surface. Repeat.

Profile the level so that the water will run off the way you want.

Roll it.

Turf it. Much better results than seeding and well worth the extra.

Water it, water it, water it.

Did I mention watering it? In hot windy weather the turf can dry out and
shrink in just a few few hours! You have been warned. Make sure it's kept
damp for the first two weeks. If you go out for the day make sure someone
waters it for you.

The turf may start off looking a but lumpy and may even appear to get worse
but it will soon send down little white roots and then pull itself down.
Once the turn has fixed it self down you can afford to relax a bit with the
watering but not before.

Don't forget there is a right time of year to lay grass.