Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Pruning help needed

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Can anyone give me advice on when to prune the following:

Amelanchier
Mahonia
Exachorda
Philadelphus
Weigela
Viburnum

and any tips on the best way to prune

Many thanks

Jeanne

As a rule of thumb, after flowering and take whole branches out thinning the
plant rather than hedgyfying it!!

Yes, (in case of Philadelphus and weigela at least) take out the shoots
that have flowered back to their base, unless you want to put a bit of
bulk on the plant. Prune just after flowering when seed heads and old
flower heads are evident to show which branches. I find that they flower
on the growth they make in the months before flowering, more than last
year's growth.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph