Old 31-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default Using Chives in the landscape

In article ,
says...
I had a pot of chives from last year that I let go over the winter
months and actually thought I had killed it. Its in a pot now, and even
after being covered in snow, it came back and now has tons of purple flowers
on it. I've heard of people using them in their landscapes, but is this a
good idea? Do they spread or stay in one clump?

Ours stays in a clump, but the clump gradually gets bigger.

An alternative is a perennial called Armeria maritima (sp?). Looks like
chives but has bigger flowers and doesn't smell like onions. There
should be a picture on the web somewhere.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic