Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Wolf Wolf is offline

Default yEnc

buzz wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 09:11:11 -0400, Wolf
. com

buzz wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:15:38 -0400, Wolf
om

snip
Yeah, well, MS does conform to applicable international\web standards:
You have failed to address the point.

yEnc is the predominant encoding for binaries in Usenet today. Period.

[...]

Well, I guess I don't subscribe to the groups that use it
"predominantly." What are they?

No, one thing at a time. Do you understand that, to answer the
original question, yEnc is a simple and reliable method of encoding

Yes. Just like the other ones.

If yes, fine. I don't believe people need advice to decide what
reader they enjoy using.

Except of course for the ones who ask for advice... ;-)

_Most_ people don't want to be bothered getting additional software.
That's just a fact of life. Believe me, I've tried to persuade my
nearest and dearest to get better software than is supplied with their
"Windows computers", as they call them. No go.

Me, I've tried several newsreaders that do yEnc. Didn't like any of
them, for different reasons. Most of them are just clunky to use, and/or
give me insufficient control over what they do.

You know what I like best about T'bird? It asks you if you want to
download more than some minimum number of message headers.

Your objections were answered years ago by people who operate servers
on which these groups exist.

AFAIK, I made no technical objections except one: that yEnc is not a
standard. Yet. None of the info I found when I revisited several sites
(prompted by your comments, BTW) indicated otherwise. In addition, a
number of sites claimed that yEnc's virtue of reducing posted message
size is balanced and perhaps outweighed by a number of technical flaws,
flaws that it in part shares with the other two most widely used
encoding methods.

Answers aren't hard to come by Wolf, and
I think people are entitled to accurate information.

The relevant accurate information about yEnc is that works well most of
the time, but that some people can't be bothered using correctly written
posting software, so that a number of newsreaders choke on those posts.
That may may or may not matter.

The second fact is that OE, which is used by the vast majority of
computer owners these days, doesn't handle yEnc. To tell these people
that they should get more software so they can read your posts is IMO
idiotic. The first rule of any communication is Know Your Audience - and
adapt your message to them.

The third fact is that most computer owners don't in fact subscribe
Usenet newsgroups. They don't even know there is a Usenet...

Thanks for your posts. They prompted me to revisit a number of yEnc
promotional sites, which I suppose is a good thing. Not that my store of
useless information has increased by much, as I forget about as much as
I learn these days. ;-) I didn't know that Juergen Whoever had "released
yEnc into the public domain."

--
Take care,
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'