Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Plant Identification

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Ok. As the general response to my query was that the group was
agreeable to educating me as to what plants I have inherited -
here's the first.
Not a garden plant (they are to follow) but a house plant. I have
several of these and they have just finished flowering.
Prolifically so but short lived. So what type of cactus are they?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....n/cactus_1.jpg

TIA

Mel W.

It's a Chamaecereus. I think that's how you spell it. Peanut cactus
to its friends. I have a couple, different colours though.

You can tell by the way the flowers come out of a weird place in
the trunk. I might be wrong. I don't think so.

Chamaecereus sylvestris. I have a sneaking feeling the taxonomists
have changed its name in recent years.

Nice healthy specimen.
Not all drooping multistemmed cacti with flowers coming from partway
along the stem are Chamaecereus ;-)

True, but there probably isn't another one that looks like a peanut
:-)

But this one doesn't look like a peanut!!!!!

It looks like the way peanuts grow in their monkey-nut shells though. And it
looks the same as mine, which I know to be a peanut cactus :-)