Old 31-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Plastic, glass, and light absorption

in article , Mark at
wrote on 3/31/03 5:30 AM:

Does anyone have a good source for the wavelengths of light
absorbed/blocked by various clear plastics/glasses, and what impact,
if any, this has on growing plants. From the dim recesses of my mind,
I seem to remember that chlorophyll works best with (?) 420 nm or
something like that...

...The reason I'm wondering is because I want to know if I can build a
small greenhouse/cold frame from just any old transparent panels, or
if some will deny the growing plants the right "kind" of light.

Thanks,
Mark

Because chlorophyll is green, it absorbs in the red. Only absorbed light can
be used in photochemical reactions such as photosynthesis.

Bill