Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roz Cawley Roz Cawley is offline

Default Ants in compost

In article , R.A.Omond
writes
wrote:
Our composter is invaded by ants!

They're usually a sign that the composter is too dry.

Try making it a bit more moist (pee in it, or would that be
too "chemical" ?).

Other than that, the ants are pretty harmless.

Not when they bite you, the little b*ggers aren't! (Red ones, that is -
which is what are in my compost).

Thanks for all the comments here, though - I have also been puzzling how
to get rid of them - I'll try all the suggestions.

(Will need to muster some men to pee on it, though - I have always
understood that male urine is like manna from heaven as far as
accelerating compost heaps is concerned ;-))
--
Roz Cawley